Esports Opportunity to Role Players - Tier Explanation

Accessing

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

We've discussed this for some time now, as we go through the reorg for Operator Esport - which I'm reluctant to take to any events that are not Major League Gaming or by reputable tournament organizers. We're thinking of taking up the name TIER ONE. I am excited about this because its new and have reached out to the current org owners to set something up. Although I do not like their branding and theme it may help jump start this area as Esports staff is currently just me, Susan, Milan and Nate which we all have 0 experience in what we're doing.

With this the definition really fits with the ONI theme and we can sound more catchy than OPS for Operators (which usually means opposition but has the negative connotation of Police/NARC activites) getting away from this is important to me as the topic becomes way too controversial and the name alone has had deals/contracts drop. Where TIER ONE as the new name shines is the structure of TIER TWO following under. This is pinnacle to what we would have called "The Academy" but didn't want to due to other forms of an academy already existing in Role play.

Tier One (military), highly secretive special forces units.

There isn't a lot of published material on the matters since --for obvious reasons-- the DoD wants to keep a lot of these cards close to the chest. Within the Defense Department, there is a semi-autonomous command structure that acts more-or-less independently of the other branches. This is done to maintain the necessary secrecy for this structure's mission.

This command structure is the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). Without getting into all the sundry details, it manages the "BlackOps" activity of the military. It's an intra-service command that (as one would expect) has officers and enlisted personnel from all four branches.

The deployable units are called Special Mission Units. Many people erroneously use the term "special forces" but there is only one Special Forces, and it's a copy written term of the Army. Technically the only SMUs that are called that, are the ones people call "Tier 1 SMUs", though, colloquially I've heard military people use the term "Tier 2 SMU" as well (we'll get to that directly).

Tier 2 SMUs are open to any male in the US Military of adequate physical health. Most wash out (like 80-90%). These teams are, but possibly not limited to:

SEALs - Navy
Raiders - Marines
Recon - Marines
Combat Controllers - Air Force
Rangers - Army
Special Forces - Army
Asymmetric Warfare Group - Army

Tier 1 SMUs are closed teams that are staffed by invitation. They fall under the ultra secret Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) which is within USSOCOM. They are the best of the best of the best. They frequently staff teams coordinated and commanded by the CIA's Special Activities Division in teams called Special Operations Groups, when full political deniability is required (clandestine missions). There are only three acknowledged Tier 1 SMUs:

DELTA Force (1st Special Forces Operational Delta) - Army
DEVGRU (Naval Special Warfare Development Group, Seal Team Six) - Navy
24th Special Tactics Squadron - Air Force

This is from Quora by the way as not much details come into play.

Tier 1 refers to the amount of government spending on the Special Operations units classified as “Tier 1.” This includes DEVGRU, Delta, The ISA, 24th STS, The Air Force’S Covered Air Unit(real name isn't known as far as I've read), and a few other units. These units receive much more funding than conventional units and “White” SOF Units.

To wrap this bit up, those interested in competing or streaming producing content please hit me up for Tier Two which we are going to look into developing as the feeding group for our official Esports name. This is still unofficial, but as official as it will get and most likely will happen.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕

More answers from Quora

Main difference? Funding.

The Tier-system was designed by JSOC (Joint Special Operations Command) to prioritize which Special Operations Forces* receive the most funding. Tier 1 receives the most, then Tier 2, etc. However, games like Medal of Honor and various TV shows have diluted that fact, and people now associate Tier level with unit prestige and skill. Yes, it's true that Tier 1 units are more prestigious than Tier 2 or 3 units, but that's not technically how it works.

Aside from the difference of funding, you can picture Tier 1 units (referred to as Special Missions Units, or SMUs, henceforth) as sitting at the base of a "funding" pyramid. That's right, the bottom. Let me explain.

At the top level of that pyramid are the conventional and Tier 3 forces. These include Marine Expeditionary Units, the 82nd Airborne, Marine Recon, etc. The "hammer" in the "Hammer and Scalpel" analogy. This level has the most people and lowest amount of funding when compared to the levels below it (visually speaking). They also tend to have much more basic training.

Below Tier 3 are the Tier 2 units. These include the SEAL Teams, Special Forces Groups, 75th Ranger Regiment, 160th SOAR, etc. Much smaller amount of people than Tier 3, and much more money per individual. This is also accompanied by much longer training in most cases. It also works because several of the Tier 2 units are fed by individuals coming from the Tier 3 level. For example, Army Special Forces receive a lot of volunteers from the 82nd, 101st, and other conventional units. However, there are some Tier 2 units that recruit younger individuals who have a contract upon enlistment, notably the SEAL Teams and the Ranger Regiment (and, to a lesser extent, Special Forces).

At the bottom of the pyramid is the Tier 1 SMUs. These include Delta, DEVGRU (aka SEAL Team Six), the 24th Special Tactics Squadron, and several others that are rumored, and highly classified. They have the smallest amount of people, but the largest amount of funding by far. This is also accompanied by much more intensive training and operational tempos.

This is how I've always visualized the Tier-system. Top-down, because it's based on funding. Bottom level (Tier 1) has more than the top level (Tier 3). However, a lot of people visualize it as running bottom-up, so only the most skilled and elite get to sit at the top.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they'd associate Tier 1 with "badassery level." But the Tier system, in the military, is used solely to refer to a unit's priority and funding according to JSOC.