The Role of YouTube Links in Our Forum

ADM S Osman

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN

I've noticed that a few posts here often begin with a YouTube link, and it got me thinking—how do people actually feel about that? Are these video links adding value to our discussions, or are they taking away from the engagement we might otherwise have in text-based conversations?

Our forums, as some of you might have noticed, haven't been the most popular or active space for discussions lately. A lot of new members tend to sign up and head straight for our Spartan Companies-like system, bypassing the forums altogether. This raises a couple of questions:

1. Is the integration of YouTube links a helpful way to convey information or start discussions, or does it discourage more in-depth conversation?

• On one hand, video content can be a quick and effective way to share information or opinions. On the other hand, it might lead to shorter responses or discourage people from engaging with the content unless they take the time to watch the video.
  2. Could the reliance on video content be contributing to the overall decline in forum activity?

• If users are more inclined to watch a video than to write out a response or start a discussion, could this be a factor in why our forums are quieter these days? Or is it simply that our community prefers the Spartan Companies system for interaction?
  3. How can we encourage more active participation in our forums?

• Should we set guidelines around the use of video links, perhaps encouraging posters to summarize the video content and their thoughts on it to foster discussion? Or should we focus on other strategies to increase engagement, such as topic-focused challenges, AMA sessions, or more direct interaction from community leaders?

I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. How do you feel about the current state of our forums, and what changes would you suggest to make this space more vibrant and engaging?

Auditor

Auditor

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN
  • ACCESS [3] TOP SECRET

I don’t mind watching what other people are watching nowadays. Maybe it does take away from this site though because I just end up on YouTube! 

Commenting and having that discussion on YouTube too, even though sometimes the moderation and audience isn’t so positive. I also feel like I’m heard here since there aren’t so many people.

Intelligence Officer

Intelligence Officer

• [C] UNIT LEADER
  • ACCESS [4] TOP SECRET〔CW〕
On 8/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, ADM S Osman said:

Or is it simply that our community prefers the Spartan Companies system for interaction?

We are honestly in a dire need of delivering something. A MVP really, as we kind of fall behind our own timeline its tough to say anything else.  

I like posting videos and sharing and discussing them, most of the times though we just don't drive the traffic that would discuss our topics. When it comes to your first point I immediately thought of how I recently watched Wolf Legion's leader Wolfologies post on YouTube a one sided conversation that didn't really make any sense so out of recency bias I just don't think video format for conversation is any good. When it comes to what kind of content we want to publish on our YouTube we definitiely could start with some of the well written threads in the forums. I often like to think that the forums is a good place to write your first script or draw inspiration from something. 

I saw most of the lore videos from before used to literally be a topic on Halo Archive! 

About setting guidelines, I think its fine. No harm is done when someone shares a YouTube video here to talk about. 

On 8/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, ADM S Osman said:

Or should we focus on other strategies to increase engagement, such as topic-focused challenges, AMA sessions, or more direct interaction from community leaders?

All of this stuff is definitely things we want to do, I wish we were able to sit down and find the time do more! Irregardless of your current status here too I think being a leader before people still want to hear from you and have that direct interaction (even though most times its not positive) with you. 

Resident Agent in Charge

Resident Agent in Charge

• FORUM BASIC MEMBER
On 8/19/2024 at 2:59 AM, ADM S Osman said:
  • Is the integration of YouTube links a helpful way to convey information or start discussions, or does it discourage more in-depth conversation?

• On one hand, video content can be a quick and effective way to share information or opinions. On the other hand, it might lead to shorter responses or discourage people from engaging with the content unless they take the time to watch the video.
  • Could the reliance on video content be contributing to the overall decline in forum activity?

• If users are more inclined to watch a video than to write out a response or start a discussion, could this be a factor in why our forums are quieter these days? Or is it simply that our community prefers the Spartan Companies system for interaction?
  • How can we encourage more active participation in our forums?

• Should we set guidelines around the use of video links, perhaps encouraging posters to summarize the video content and their thoughts on it to foster discussion? Or should we focus on other strategies to increase engagement, such as topic-focused challenges, AMA sessions, or more direct interaction from community leaders?

It depends on how they use the link. If they were just posting a link with no opinion, question or statement to go along with it. You wouldn't be driving any content or traffic to your forum. If people are going to the forum and clicking o the thread with a video clearly its an attraction there's just needs to be a solid reason for them to come back and have the conversation here instead of on the youtube channel.

Which similarly to wat Richards said it's easier to voice your opinion here and be heard compared to being on youtube. You are less likely to also be trashed to talked for sharing your opinion.

If I was to suggest one guideline it would be that you cannot just post a link with little to no context or substance. Other than that I don't know what else you can do.