Escapism: Benefits, Consequences, and Opportunity

Shandykidinkent

Hello, I’m this post we will delve into escapism. Before I progress further I want to know what do you think escapism is, are their benefits, is it all a sense of delusional grandeur, or can there be ways we can become better people by using it? I know that is a multi-faceted question, though to truly understand a subject, we must delve in its positives and negatives. Please take your time, and share as much or as little as you may like.

- Shandy

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

Assistant Special Agent in Charge

• [R] RESIGNED SERVICEMEN

I think escapism is a primate form of creativity. To go beyond the norms of reality and create something, imaginary and 'escape' reality. I see it very synonymous with dreams and dreaming. It has been said wether backed by research or not that dreams are a run of scenarios that your brain creates to anticipate and attack problems that may be faced. Hunter gatherers would as an example dream of engaging a lion and in that scenario, play out a strategy to win that fails in death. The hunter gatherers would then go out and learn not to play out the same strategy when facing a lion again. Dreams are more of a fantasy to escapism than it is a true escapism theme though it shares benefits. 

Escapism has its benefits, in stress relief or anxiety relief and even renewing feelings of gratifications but it also can come with delusions of grandeur. In the many ways I see it as a delusion of grandeurs only in undisciplined, immature or victims stuck in the 'drama triangle' from which they do not know they are in until they introspectively take a step back. When people have an immediate problem they cannot process they chose to escape, some will self-handicap themselves and fail before they try out of the fear of failing however in the end fail altogether. 

The first picture in mind is someone in prison looking to enjoy the time surrounded around high walls with little to nothing to do. Someone in solitary confinement with the creativity to escape-in-place could realistically outlast someone who does not have that same creativity, that is constantly harassed in the form of torture methods like loud sounds, dripping water or repetitive music while in the same position.